Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Blaze scorches wedding venue

By: 
MAGGIE FRASER
Wednesday, August 29, 2018

ESD 1 fi refi ghters battled a blaze at The Deer Cove event venue on Saturday, Aug.
25. They were able to contain the fire with no injuries – and even managed to save a baby shower cake from the flames. Photo courtesy Stephen Watson

Wedding bell blues were averted after a fire burned part of The Deer Cove event venue Aug. 25 as the community stepped up to help owner Sara Langston in her time of need.

Around 3:30 p.m., Emergency Services District 1 firefighters were called to The Deer Cove, ESD 1 Fire Chief Stephen Watson said.

ESD 1 responded with four engines, two tankers, and 21 firefighters and had controlled the fire by 4.

The firefighters even managed to save a cake from a baby shower, Watson said.

No one was injured in the fire, but the front third of the venue and part of its attic were burned.

A cause has yet to be determined, and The Deer Cove will be closed until further notice for repairs.

With weddings scheduled for Sunday, Langston said she didn’t know what she would do – until owners of nearby venues saved the day.

Hollow Hill Event Center, A&M Gardens, and others called Langston to offer their venues for the ceremonies, and Langston said she was overwhelmed by their kindness.

“They immediately called and offered to help with my weddings,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

“Thank you to my awesome community! And thank you to all of my friends for their support. I’m heartbroken, but we will rebuild Deer Cove.”

Category: